Translate

...when and how to eat a guava?

Unlike many people, when I'm at the grocery store (shout out to Mariano's, woot!) and see something that I can't name or figure out how to cook/eat, I like to buy it. In the past this has included things like dragon fruit (more gorgeous than flavorful, like a non-sweet kiwi) and Chinese bitter melon (should be rechristened the "Chinese really f-ing bitter melon that you can't unbitter, only hope to survive").

Yesterday, it was the guava.


This isn't the most exciting new thing to try eating, but hey, have YOU eaten a guava? I felt pretty good when my Google search returned an entire collection of "how to eat a guava" YouTube videos as well as several "how to eat a guava in 12 steps" links. 12 seems like a lot. But, Men's Health says that guava is one of the "10 Best Foods You Aren't Eating, You Idiot" (the direct address was my addition). Men's Health says you can "score" a guava in higher end produce or Latin produce markets. They have a ONE step process:

1. Eat it. (rind, seeds, everything)

Fair enough. But how do I know when it's READY to be eaten? Whelp, going back to the 12-step Wiki-How dealio, they start off bright green and then turn soft yellow-green (even a little pink) when they're ready. The other standards work, too~ smell it. Good smell = good eat. "Sweet and slightly musky, without even putting it to your nose" says WikiHow. :X Squeeze it. Hard = unripe. Blemishes = bad. 

Since I base my YouTube selections largely on how popular they are, how short they are, and the name of the creator, I chose "livelife365"'s video. He seems like he's totally livin' life 365, I mean the guy is in Hawai'i, and even does hands on guava eating demos:



There seem to be a ridiculous amount of types, and now I'm a little nervous that my guava might turn out to be one of the gooier kinds instead of the above pink interiors. A lot of them look similar on the outside, all nice and green, but this one looks like the inside of a tomato, the consistency of which I do NOT care for.



Also, apparently, Google Guava is one of Google's "core libraries", then it got jargon-y and I'm over guavas now. Maybe I'll eat it later. I just finished a bag of popcorn while writing this, soooo...

No comments:

Post a Comment