Translate

...if I can use these squash innards in my box garden?

Which made me think, Hey! We have coffee grounds, too. And I DEFINITELY remember getting pounds of used coffee grounds from Starbucks('s?) in Texas and sprinkling them around the avocado tree (THAT DIDN'T PRODUCE A SINGLE F-ING AVOCADO in spite of me pruning and sprinkling said coffee grounds. Until the year I moved out, and when I went back, there were so many the new people couldn't give them away fast enough. Like, a Midwest-acorn amount. No, I don't care if avocado trees only fruit (verb?) every few years. That seemed personal.) in our otherwise barren backyard.

Let me preface this by saying that composting seems overwhelming at this point in life and I'll check that out later. So, here's what the research told me:

>Soil should have an organic matter (dead plant and animal bits that are in/on soil but haven't decomposed yet, hereafter referred to as NOMs, thankyouWikipedia :P) of 5-8% (1).

>Don't add more of anything until the original amount decomposes (1). 

And then, for god's sake, all people wanted to talk about was composting. Compost, compost, compost! I don't got time for compost! Or interest! I had to really focus my Googling skills and ask for "adding food scraps directly to garden". Enough about my tiresome quest. Reap the rewards!:

>What I want to do, which I think of as "the lazy girl's NOMs", is also called "trench composting" if it's buried or "sheet composting"or, my favorite, "lasagna composting" if it's just thrown right on top (2). The only issue is that animals might be super interested and dig it up.

>The most useful and happiest discovery was this LESS THAN ONE MINUTE VIDEO from Dillon Seitchik-Reardon of the adorably named Little Veggie Patch Co. BOOM:



1Anna@GreenTalk found this out from Dr. Paul Hepperly at the Rodale Institute.
2Anonymous users on OrganicGardening.com had lots to say about the lazy girl's NOMs.

No comments:

Post a Comment